Tues. 1/19 5:30 PM Memorial to Remember and Honor COVID-19 losses

Amala Lane

Dear Friends,

Below is the announcement from the Presidential Inaugural Committee about this ceremony. Cities across the nation are encouraged to hold their own. I feel moved to go to the Commons at 5:30 and place luminarias for the 19 souls who were lost due to COVID in our area. And to hold the space in worshipful silence with time for sharing poetry, thoughts, prayers, or song. Participants are welcome to bring a luminaria to place. Please wear a mask and observe physical distance.  Here is the official event announcement for the one in DC:

WASHINGTON — Today, the Presidential Inaugural Committee (PIC) announced that it will host a memorial to remember and honor the lives lost to COVID-19 in cities and towns across the country on January 19, 2021, at 5:30 p.m. ET. A Washington, D.C. ceremony will feature a lighting around the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool. It will be the first-ever lighting around the Reflecting Pool to memorialize American lives lost.

PIC is inviting cities and towns around the country to join Washington, D.C. in illuminating buildings and ringing church bells at 5:30 p.m. ET in a national moment of unity and remembrance.

“The inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris represents the beginning of a new national journey. However, in the midst of a pandemic – when so many Americans are grieving the loss of family, friends, and neighbors – it is important that we honor those who have died, reflect on what has been one of the more challenging periods in the nation’s history, and renew our commitment to coming together to end the pandemic and rebuild our nation,” said PIC Communications Director Pili Tobar.