Sorry but I still need your help

Marilyn Ray

Friends...I hope I have selected the correct list serve for the message below.  Since Meeting has agreed to be involved with the Sanctuary movement, I thought members would be interested in the message below.  I hope I am not offending anyone by cluttering up the wrong list.  This is still all a great mystery to me, but with Nancy Riffer's assistance, I'm still trying to figure it all out. ..Marilyn

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Call Congress to Free Immigrant Leaders Living in Sanctuary Churches
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 19:25:07 +0000 (UTC)
From: Free Migration Project via ActionNetwork.org <david.bennion@...>
Reply-To: david.bennion@...
To: mlr17@...

ICE is defying President Biden’s instructions, urge Congress members to to intervene and Free the Sanctuary Leaders

Call Congress to Free Immigrant Leaders Living in Sanctuary Churches

*Español abajo*

Today we are asking for your help to free immigrant leaders living in Sanctuary churches so they can safely return to their homes and communities. ICE is ignoring President Biden’s instructions to grant Sanctuary Leaders legal protection from deportation, so they are still trapped in Sanctuary churches around the country. We need your help! PLEASE CALL these four members of Congress and urge them to intervene with ICE to free the Sanctuary Leaders.

Sample Script: “My name is __________. I’m calling to ask the [Representative / Senator] to urgently intervene with ICE to free the Sanctuary Leaders across the U.S. ICE is ignoring instructions from the Biden administration to grant legal protections from deportation to undocumented immigrants. People living in Sanctuary churches clearly qualify for these protections. We are asking your office to demand that ICE apply the new rules correctly to allow the Sanctuary Leaders to leave the churches without fear of arrest or deportation.”

(Please have patience while the system connects you to each office.)

People living in Sanctuary churches fled from violence and persecution in their countries of birth to seek safety in the U.S. Some of these Sanctuary Leaders have built lives here over decades, and have U.S.-citizen children and spouses. Over the past several years, Sanctuary Leaders have taken refuge in houses of worship to keep their families safe and together.

On President Biden’s first day in office, the administration issued instructions to ICE to exempt broad categories of people from arrest, detention, and deportation. Separately, the administration issued a 100-day moratorium on deportations. Soon after, a federal judge in Texas put the moratorium on hold. However, the other “enforcement priorities” guidance remained intact and went into effect on February 1, 2021. But ICE is defying President Biden’s instructions. After the new guidelines came into effect last week, ICE denied requests for protection for multiple Sanctuary Leaders.

We are now asking for your help to ask Members of Congress to hold ICE accountable to the new enforcement guidelines. Please call these members of Congress and urge them to intervene with ICE to Free the Sanctuary Leaders. Congress has oversight authority over DHS’s funding and operations, and Members of Congress in the president’s party now have more influence over ICE’s behavior than they did under President Trump. We believe key members of Congress can push ICE to Free the Sanctuary Leaders if they hear from the public that it is a priority.

Take action today!

Thank you,

David Bennion, Free Migration Project

On behalf of the National Sanctuary Collective - Colectivo Santuario

The National Sanctuary Collective (Colectivo Santuario) is composed of immigrants in Sanctuary, immigrant organizers, attorneys, and allies in faith communities spanning multiple states.

Llame a estos miembros del Congreso para liberar a los Líderes Inmigrantes que viven en iglesias Santuario

Hoy pedimos su ayuda para liberar a los líderes inmigrantes que viven en iglesias Santuario para que puedan regresar a sus hogares y comunidades de manera segura. ICE está ignorando las instrucciones del presidente Biden que otorga a los líderes del santuario protección legal contra la deportación, por lo que todavía están atrapados en iglesias santuario en todo el país. ¡Necesitamos su ayuda! POR FAVOR LLAME a estos cuatro miembros del Congreso e inste a que intervengan con ICE para liberar a los Líderes del Santuario.

Ejemplo de guión: “Mi nombre es __________. Llamo para pedirle al [Representante / Senador] que intervenga urgentemente con ICE para liberar a los Líderes del Santuario en los EE. UU. ICE está ignorando las instrucciones de la administración Biden de otorgar protecciones legales contra la deportación a inmigrantes indocumentados. Las personas que viven en iglesias Santuario claramente cualifican para estas protecciones. Le pedimos a su oficina que exija que ICE aplique las nuevas reglas correctamente para permitir que los líderes del santuario abandonen las iglesias sin temor a ser arrestados o deportados ”.

(Tenga paciencia mientras el sistema telefónico le conecta con cada oficina).

Las personas que viven en las iglesias del Santuario huyeron de la violencia y la persecución en sus países de nacimiento para buscar seguridad en los EE. UU. Algunos de estos Líderes de Santuario han construido vidas aquí durante décadas y tienen hijos y cónyuges ciudadanos de los EE. UU. Durante los últimos años, los líderes del santuario se han refugiado en lugares de culto para mantener a sus familias seguras y unidas.

El primer día en el cargo del presidente Biden, la administración emitió instrucciones a ICE para eximir a amplias categorías de personas de arresto, detención y deportación. Por separado, la administración emitió una moratoria de 100 días sobre las deportaciones. Poco después, un juez federal de Texas suspendió la moratoria. Sin embargo, las instrucciones de otras "prioridades de aplicación" permaneció intacta y entró en vigor el 1 de febrero de 2021. Pero ICE está desafiando las instrucciones del presidente Biden. Después de que las nuevas pautas entraron en vigencia la semana pasada, ICE denegó las solicitudes de protección para varios líderes del santuario.

Ahora estamos pidiendo su ayuda para pedir a los miembros del Congreso que responsabilicen a ICE de las nuevas pautas de aplicación. Llame a estos miembros del Congreso e inste a que intervengan con ICE para liberar a los líderes del santuario. El Congreso tiene autoridad de supervisión sobre el financiamiento y las operaciones del DHS, y los miembros del Congreso en el partido del presidente ahora tienen más influencia sobre el comportamiento de ICE que la que tenían bajo el presidente Trump. Creemos que los miembros clave del Congreso pueden presionar a ICE para que libere a los líderes del santuario si escuchan del público que es una prioridad.

¡Actúe hoy!

Gracias y saludos,

David Bennion, Free Migration Project

Por parte del Colectivo Santuario

El Colectivo Santuario está compuesto por inmigrantes en Santuario, organizadores de inmigrantes, abogados y aliados en comunidades de fe que abarcan varios estados.

Action
                                                        Network
Sent via Action Network, a free online toolset anyone can use to organize. Click here to sign up and get started building an email list and creating online actions today.
Action Network is an open platform that empowers individuals and groups to organize for progressive causes. We encourage responsible activism, and do not support using the platform to take unlawful or other improper action. We do not control or endorse the conduct of users and make no representations of any kind about them.
You can unsubscribe or update your email address or change your name and address by changing your subscription preferences here.