Saturday Vigil, Hiroshima, and Clint Halftown

Margaret McCasland

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Extinction Rebellion Ithaca <info@...>
Date: Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 5:00 PM
Subject: Saturday Vigil, Hiroshima, and Clint Halftown
To: <mamccasland@...>

Hi XRI,

We had a great rally outside City Hall on Tuesday. Thanks to everyone who showed up in support of the Ithaca Green New Deal!

We hope to see you again this Saturday on the Corner of Martin Luther King and Aurora Street at 11 AM, as we tell Chase Bank to stop financing our climate doom. The forecast is: warm, probably not raining.

Following the vigil at Chase, the Ithaca Catholic Worker is holding a commemoration of the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima in 1945.

I grew up having nightmares about nuclear annihilation, an existential threat which remains a great danger to Earth but has so far not materialized. Many young people today are haunted by the specter of Climate Chaos, a menace which is already upon us but will grow more severe each year until we make drastic systemic changes to our global human society. Both threats are the bitter fruit of the triple evils of racism, militarism, and greed. We have a duty to the coming generations to transform these evils.

Also note: Clint Halftown is at it again, bulldozing homes and buildings of Cayuga Nation citizens. Three buildings have been bulldozed so far. More homes are currently in danger. Please spread the word! Witnesses are needed on site. If you are able to get to Seneca Falls to document what's happening, the addresses currently at risk are 2916 Bayard St, Seneca Falls and 25 Spruce Lane, Seneca Falls.

Sent via ActionNetwork.org. To update your email address, change your name or address, or to stop receiving emails from XR Ithaca, please click here.

Amala Lane

Hi Margaret, and Friends,

Thank you for this information.  I wrote to Anna Kelles via her FB page/Messenger and received this reply which I find heartening - at least good to know that our state senator is aware and has condemned the actions of Clint Halftown. - Peace, Amala

Thanks, Amala. Anna is in touch with Maddie and has been closely monitoring this situation. She put out a statement this AM strongly condemning Clint Halftown's actions and will continue to urge our federal leaders to take swift action in recognizing and empowering the collective voices of the Chiefs and Clanmothers of the Cayuga Nation and refrain from recognizing Halftown as the representative of the Cayuga Nation. Jen Lyons, Communications Director for Assemblymember Kelles.

[...]

Ruth Yarrow

Hi Friends, I went with fellow human rights folks to Seneca Falls last night. The destruction of traditional Cayuga ceremonial spaces and family homes by Clint Half town’s bulldozer and police crew is truly horrific. We hung out at houses that are the next possible targets. Support is very much appreciated.  Ruth