Reinvent Public Safety public forum this Thursday #FCRJ

Amala Lane

Mayor Svante sent this out:

Good morning everyone,

Thank you for your continued leadership in helping the City of Ithaca reinvent public safety!

I'd like to invite you to a zoom meeting on this topic Thursday, Aug 6, 2020 at 04:30 PM EST.

At the meeting we will chart the course forward for the next several months of public discussion, planning, analysis, and execution.  This will be the first opportunity for us to gather together, but far from the last.

You will need to register in advance for this meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMpcuuppj0jHtaaSqBnxMC7sVqoVZ4rnJT8.  After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Before the meeting I would like to ask each of you to send an email to Reinventpublicsafety@cityofithaca.org with an answer to this question:

"If you could snap your fingers, and make any three changes to the City of Ithaca Police Department - what three changes would you make?"

A couple of notes about the meeting.

First, the City of Ithaca has engaged in thought partnership with the Center for Policing Equity.  In the months of work to come they will be aiding with data collection, public engagement, and policy development.  I am thrilled have them on board.  You can read more about the Center here, and view a quick TED talk by their cofounder Dr. Goff here.

Second, the meeting will be recorded and made available online.  I believe this is necessary for maximum public ownership of this process, but it is also necessary because of the number of public officials that will be present on the call.