FCNL re ending police violence

Margaret McCasland

Stand with Protestors: Stop Militarizing Law Enforcement

By José Santos Woss, June 2, 2020

America needs police reform now! In partnership with the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and more than 400 organizations, we are calling on Congress to swiftly pass meaningful police reform legislation.

Write your member of congress and urge them to take swift action in response to ongoing fatal and racist police killings and other violence against Black people across our country. There are a number of bills before Congress right now that can begin to address the broken American policing system:

The End Racial and Religious Profiling Act (S. 2355): Bans federal, state, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies from using race or religion to influence police stops, searches, and immigration proceedings.

The PEACE Act (H.R. 4359): Establishes a national “necessary” use of force standard to prevent police officers from using lethal force unless all non-lethal methods have been exhausted.

The Eric Garner Excessive Force Prevention Act (H.R. 4408): Makes it illegal for police to use any hold or grip that blocks the throat or windpipe. The sort of choke holds that police used to kill Eric Garner and George Floyd.

The Stop Militarizing Law Enforcement Act (H.R. 1714): Would stop military hardware from flowing into the hands of civilian law enforcement agencies by ending the 1033 program.

Urge your member of congress to cosponsor these bills and be a champion for racial justice and equitable policing.

Statement Racism and Whiteness

Our hearts are broken as the fault lines of racism continue to be starkly exposed in the violence that ended the lives of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and uncounted numbers of African Americans, not only in recent years but since Africans were first brought to this country as enslaved people.