Climate & Earthcare News & Notes with events starting TODAY

Margaret McCasland

Climate & Earthcare News & Notes

from NYYM’s Climate Justice Working Group & Earthcare Working Group

🐞  belated Summer Solstice 2022  🐞

Hope is a verb with its shirtsleeves rolled up.    –David Orr

This issue of News & Notes is more Announcements than a newsletter, neither as comprehensive nor as carefully formatted as usual, but Summer Sessions means both that there are some timely events to announce, and that I have been very short of time.

Margaret McCasland, editor

CONTENTS

To jump from the CONTENTS to a newsletter section in BLUE CAPS, click on that word; then click on the blue “Bookmark” that should appear.  Underlined phrases or sentences indicate “live” links to websites (you may have to double click on them).

EVENTS THIS WEEK

  1. WEDNESDAY July 27, 2:15-5:15 pm: Special 2-Part Program: Native American Concerns & An Urgent Call to the Religious Society of Friends

  2. WEDNESDAY July 27, 5 - 6:30 pm: Climate Justice Working Group Virtual Open House

  3. FRIDAY July 29, 3 - 5 pm: Earthcare Working Group Virtual Open House

UPCOMING EVENTS

  1. SUNDAY July 31, 3 - 5 pm EDT or THURSDAY August 18, 7-9 pm EDT: A National Zoom Conversation to discuss “An Urgent Call to the Religious Society of Friends.

  2. MONDAY August 1, 7:30-9:00 pm EDT Friends and Sabbath in the Time of Climate Change

  3. THURSDAY August 25 7-8:30 pm EDT: Ecological Grief: Engaging with the Emotional Impacts of Climate Change

JOYOUS ACTIONS Good things are in the works, and you can help make them happen

  1. Climate Crisis Policy's Adopt-A-District organizing

JOYOUS NEWS

  1. The New York State Council of Churches receives a grant from NYSERDA to help congregations

  2. Danskammer Lawsuit Tossed: Orange County Judge Rules that DEC Has Authority to Reject New Gas Plants Under the CLCPA

  3. (Mostly) JOYOUS NEWS from Inside the Greenhouse, FCNL’s monthly newsletter

RESOURCES

  1. Would You Like Quaker Earthcare Witness to "Visit" Your Meeting?

  2. GUIDE TO HELP RESTAURANTS REDUCE PLASTIC from Beyond Plastics

  3. APPLY FOR AN EARTHCARE GRANT FROM NYYM

  4. BONUS: FUN article “For the birds”

ABOUT OUR WORKING GROUPS (and how to join our meetings)

ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER

🌻🌻🌻🌻

EVENTS THIS WEEK  NYYM Summer Sessions 2022

Registration is open for online participation!  “We gather together every year to create a Blessed Community in which to discern and carry out the work that the Divine leads us to.” Below are several events which may be of interest to Friends with concerns for Earthcare and Climate Justice. You can still join on-line events, but you need to register with NYYM in order to receive the zoom links. The fees are “Pay as Led” donations.

To register, click here.

  1. WEDNESDAY July 27, 2:15-5:15 pm: Special 2-Part Program: (1) Native American Concerns & (2) An Urgent Call to the Religious Society of Friends

The General Services, Ministry, and Witness Coordinating Committees are giving over their meeting time on Wednesday, July 27, 2:15-5:15 p.m., to a special two-part program held in the Auditorium and online via Zoom. All Friends are invited to attend. (register with NYYM for link)

  1. Native American Concerns (2:15-3:15 pm)

Portia Kay^nthos Skenandore-Wheelock manages the Friends Committee on National Legislation’s Native American Advocacy Program. Portia is a citizen of the Oneida Nation of Wisconsin and spent her formative years traveling back and forth between the Oneida Indian Reservation in Wisconsin and the Oneida homelands in upstate New York. She will present, answer questions and dialogue with Friends about her lobbying work on critical issues in Indian Country, such as recognizing and protecting tribal sovereignty, addressing the history of cultural deprivation and abuse in the former Federal Indian boarding schools program, the proposed Truth and Healing Commission on Indian Boarding School Policies in the United States Act, and the crisis of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women.

  1. An Urgent Call to the Religious Society of Friends (3:15-5:15 pm)

In worship sharing and corporate discernment, we will consider the “Quaker Call to Action on threats to our Democracy,” issued by a group of Friends in May. More information is available at the website of the Call: https://quakercall.net/

The first paragraph of the Call states:

We Quakers, members of the Religious Society of Friends, hold strongly

to the principle of speaking truth with integrity. We ground our speaking

truth in our worship and our searching of ourselves, as we listen deeply

and honestly within and across all differences. Our testimony to the

world includes standing up for spiritually discerned Truth, the equality

of all persons, the peaceful resolution of conflicts, and respect and care

for our neighbors and the earth. Right now, we see many forces at work

in our country and the world that are undermining these basic values.

Accordingly, we call on Friends everywhere to act.

(There will also be National Zoom Conversations about the Call on Sunday, July 31, 3-5 pm EDT, hosted by Earlham School of Religion, and on Thursday, August 18, 7-9 pm EDT, hosted by Pendle Hill. See more below.)

2.  WEDNESDAY July 27, 5 - 6:30 pm: Climate Justice Working Group Virtual Open House (our regular weekly link is included below)

Please join us anytime between 5 and 6:30. Connect with NYYM’s Climate Justice Working Group via Zoom from wherever you may be –perhaps your favorite spot at Silver Bay that has a wi-fi connection. Ask your questions, share your ideas, and learn more about what we have been up to. Help us help the world address the climate crisis.

Here is our regular zoom link:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82409269863?pwd=Ym5ENE1pVWdzRW5HcG5Pa3NnbWR2QT09

Meeting ID: 824 0926 9863

Passcode (computer): earlham  Passcode (phone): 4058670

One tap mobile:  +16469313860,,82409269863#,,,,*4058670# US

Dial by your location:   +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

3.  FRIDAY July 29, 3 - 5 pm: Earthcare Working Group Virtual Open House

(register with NYYM for zoom link)

Earthcare & Resilience: Being faithful as our planet is changing

Friends active with NYYM’s Earthcare Working Group (EWG) will discuss how we have been fostering resilience in ways guided by our Quaker faith. We also want to listen to your ideas on other ways we can help foster faithful resilience for you and for your monthly meetings. Merriam-Webster defines "resilience" as: an ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change. Change can be intimidating or even scary.

  • Can our faith – always intertwined with hope and love – help us be more resilient?

  • What gives you hope in these perilous times?

  • How can we give each other hope?

  • How does your meeting give you hope?

Our mission is "to raise awareness in the yearly meeting about Earthcare concerns, coordinate the efforts of individual Friends following Earthcare witness leadings, and serve as an organizing vehicle for collective Earthcare action within the yearly meeting."

Current  activities include offering Worship Sharing with a concern for Earthcare during Summer Sessions, our online “Earth Resonance” gatherings throughout the year, grants from the Earthcare Fund, etc. We also work closely with Quaker Earthcare Witness. We meet once a month to worshipfully plan our programs and activities. The Earthcare Working Group is open to anyone interested.

🌻🌻🌻🌻

UPCOMING EVENTS

  1. SUNDAY July 31, 3 - 5 pm EDT or THURSDAY August 18, 7-9 pm EDT:

A National Zoom Conversation to discuss “An Urgent Call to the Religious Society of Friends.

A worship sharing format will be used to consider the following queries:

1. What, if anything, is the Light Within calling Friends to do in response to the unprecedented rise of domestic extremism, white supremacy, and authoritarianism that is threatening the destruction of our democracy at home and abroad?

2. How can I/we respond with resolute love even while I/we may be struggling with fear, anger, apathy, or hate?

Register to join the second or third conversation: https://quakercall.net/join-the-conversation-1

  1. MONDAY August 1, 7:30-9:00 pm EDT Friends and Sabbath in the Time of Climate Change

An online Pendle Hill “First Monday Lecture” with Cherice Bock: ways that practicing the Sabbath might help face the spiritual and emotional experiences of our changing climate. Free to the public! Registration required. Read more and register here.

  1. THURSDAY August 25 7-8:30 pm EDT:

Ecological Grief: Engaging with the Emotional Impacts of Climate Change

Register here.

Ecological grief is all around us, whether we recognize it or not, we all carry it with us. Buddhist writer Joanna Macy writes, “Feeling pain for the world is as natural to us as the food and air we draw upon to fashion who we are. That pain is the price of consciousness in a threatened and suffering world. It is not only natural, it is an absolutely necessary component of our collective healing. The problem, therefore, lies not with our pain for the world, but in our repression of it.”

This 90 minute experiential workshop is an introduction to the phenomenon of ecological-grief—what it is, how to engage with it, and why it’s important. We’ll explore those tender places in our own hearts where ecological grief dwells and offer them sacred attention.

Engaging in the grief process in a spiritual community supports resiliency and helps us be more deeply attuned to the actions we are called to take.

🌻🌻🌻🌻

JOYOUS ACTIONS:

  1. Climate Crisis Policy's Adopt-A-District organizing:

Our core goal in organizing by Congressional District is to build movement infrastructure to have local groups and activists organized together and ready to engage for federal climate legislation.

Our approach is to unite activists and groups from different policy interests, to work together on a Climate Bill Package, which has legislation of interest in many environmental topics.  We need to build strong local groups to get support for real climate action.

We also have our own new proposal - The Earth Bill - as a flagship climate bill - to mandate pollution-free electricity, cars & food by 2030.  This bill is being filed soon by Rep. Espaillat, and we have an Action campaign already in motion, please have a look and join in.

Some Adopt-A-Districts are very independent, while some states have coordinating state-wide teams.  So we're looking for folks who can take an initiative to convene others in the state, or District, and help mobilize volunteers.   If you're able to do this, please let us know.

We'll also try to connect people by District and State who have signed up, so you can organize together.  That's part of what we need point people to help with.

This is a volunteer-led grassroots network, so our hope is that your local groups will add organizing on federal legislation to their agenda.  The idea is to join forces on the Bill Package & Earth Bill, working in your own ways, but in community with activists nationwide.

We also have a General Meetings the 4th Wed of each month, register here, and notices for those will go out in advance.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions.

With gratitude,

Gregg & Todd

climatecrisispolicy@...

Materials for Review:

1. The Earth Bill Website

2.  2022 Strategy General Meeting Video.

3.  Adopt-A-District Toolkit.  Full Toolkit.

4. CCP AAD webpage.

🌻🌻🌻🌻

JOYOUS NEWS

  1. From the New York State Council of Churches:

The New York State Council of Churches and Crauderueff and Associates recently received a grant from NYSERDA to help congregations make better use of clean energy and solar technology while reaching out to their community to help homeowners and renters solarize their homes.

You can also view our recent seminar on Climate Justice for Congregations and the Neighborhoods They Serve by clicking here. The seminar lays out our three-step approach to Climate Justice for houses of faith.  Addressing the Climate Crisis in New York

  1. Danskammer Lawsuit Tossed: Orange County Judge Rules that DEC Has Authority to Reject New Gas Plants Under the CLCPA

New York Thursday, June 9, 2022

Yesterday, Judge Robert A. Onofry dismissed a lawsuit filed by Danskammer Energy LLC, seeking to overturn the Department of Environmental Conservation's denial of a permit necessary for Danskammer to build a new fracked gas plant on the banks of the Hudson River in Orange County.

Judge Onofry ruled that the Department had ample authority under the state's landmark Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA) to deny permits for new polluting gas plants that interfered with the law's aggressive GHG emissions reductions mandates. Judge Onofry noted the "immediacy" of the CLCPA’s mandate to address "a currently existing, urgent problem that [is] worsening..." As the decision explains, "That gas fired power plants are being subjected to greater scrutiny under the CLCPA is consistent with the stated goals of the legislation."

Read the full story here: Danskammer Lawsuit Tossed: Orange County Judge Rules that DEC Has Authority to Reject New Gas Plants Under the CLCPA | Sierra Club

3. (Mostly) JOYOUS NEWS from Inside the Greenhouse, FCNL’s monthly newsletter on FCNL’s environmental advocacy and emerging climate issues that impact our work:  What We’re Reading/Watching:

Read the full issue here: https://fcnl.actionkit.com/mailings/view/25111?akid=25111.42386.WsyoQe&c0=25111.DNC_pg&rd=1&t=1

🌻🌻🌻🌻

RESOURCES

  1. Would You Like Quaker Earthcare Witness to "Visit" Your Meeting?

Eleven QEW Steering Committee members, staff and Friends offer workshops for your meeting or church on a range of Earthcare-related subjects under the name "Quaker Earthcare Witness Presents," a virtual speaker's bureau.

  1. Read the workshop titles and descriptions and discern which workshop and speaker your community would like to hear from. You can also download a PDF to share.

  1. Discuss with your meeting. When would you like to host us? How would you get out the word in your community?

  1. Send an email to HAYLEY@... sharing which presentation you’d like to host and what dates could work for you. Hayley will link you up with the presenter and you can be in touch about logistical details.

2. GUIDE TO HELP RESTAURANTS REDUCE PLASTIC:

FROM Beyond Plastics, a resource for concern raised during Earthcare Worship Sharing this week:  Beyond Plastics’ brand new guide to help restaurants reduce their use of plastic. It’s FREE and packed with real-world advice and helpful resources.

Please share it with restaurants in your community.

The guide offers practical advice, tools, resources (including funding sources), and case studies to help any restaurant interested in reducing plastic in its operations take meaningful steps to do so AND help them do effective messaging (and marketing) to their customers, potential customers, and reporters, save money, and more. You can find more details, along with some startling facts about plastic pollution in our news release.

The free guide includes:

  • Practical guidance for reducing plastic usage in the front- and back-of-house

  • Links to plastic audit checklists

  • Links to savings and foodware calculators

  • Information on dishwashing options

  • Guidance on plastic-free take-out options

  • Sample language for staff and customer education

  • Advice on funding sources to purchase reusable dishes

  • Two real-world case studies, and much more!

This time around, it's going to take more than just another fracking revolution to keep the situation from devolving further. We must come to terms with nature's limits and begin working to reconfigure an economy that has become accustomed to (and all too comfortable with) fossil-fueled growth.

3. APPLY FOR AN EARTHCARE GRANT FROM NYYM

The business of our lives is to turn all our treasure into universal love  -John Woolman, 1763

NYYM’s Earthcare Fund gives grants of $50 to $500 for projects that further ecology, environmental justice and climate justice, and lead to greater respect for Earth and recognition of our oneness with all beings.

We strongly encourage projects which:

    –inspire similar projects in other communities

    –include action, education, and outreach beyond the Quaker community

    –seek leadership from people of color, youth and young adults, environmental justice communities, people in relevant sciences, and from nature

    –implement solutions to address root causes of climate chaos

To apply, go to the page “NYYM Financial Resources for Individuals and Meetings” at NYYM.org, and then scroll down to “Earthcare Fund.” You can also email <mamccasland@...> or call Margaret McCasland at 607-216-1091.

Earthcare Fund grants are supported by donations to the Earthcare Fund and by New York Yearly Meeting's Sharing Fund. The Earthcare Fund is jointly administered by NYYM’s Earthcare Working Group and Climate Justice Working Group.

🌻🌻🌻🌻

BONUS FUN Article from Sheree Cammer: June 25 is for the Birds!

    What birds will we find this Saturday in the North Greenbush grasslands? The volunteer ecologists of the Capital District Friday Field Study Group invite the public to join in the 2-hour survey by meeting up June 25 by 8 am at the Defreestville Park and Ride. More info: 518-279-4124 (survey leader, Dr. David Hunt).

   Several bird species that may be living in these grasslands include: bobolink, eastern meadowlark, grasshopper sparrow, Savannah sparrow, and American kestrel. Some of these birds are ranked as the highest priority for conservation, according to Natural Areas and Wildlife in your Community, A Habitat Summary Prepared for the Town of North Greenbush by The Hudson River Estuary Program of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. The presentation of that report was made to the Town Board on July 8, 2021, and may be viewed in the Town Hall streams section of the Town’s website: TownofNG.com

   These grasslands are part of the rich biodiversity of the Hudson River Estuary. In the words of the Habitat Summary for the Town:

   “The region (Hudson River Estuary), comprising only 13.5% of the land area in New York, contains nearly 85% of the bird,mammal, reptile, and amphibian species found in the state (Penhollow et al., 2006). Municipalities can play a key role in conserving this natural heritage and the ecological processes that sustain it. By identifying important areas for habitat and wildlife, municipalities are better equipped to pursue conservation opportunities and make informed land-use decisions. This proactive approach to planning can help municipalities avoid the costs of urban and suburban sprawl, maintain community character and quality of life, and preserve the many benefits, or ecosystem services, that healthy, natural systems provide to present and future generations.”

  For more information on habitats in the Estuary: www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5094.html

—Submitted to The Advertiser, a local paper near Albany

🌻🌻🌻🌻

ABOUT OUR WORKING GROUPS (and how to join our meetings)

The Climate Justice Working Group (CJWG): our mission statement from our page on the New York Yearly Meeting website: The Climate Justice Working group encourages and supports direct action to reduce global warming and other harmful human effects on the environment and to restore Earth's ecosystems for the good of all life. By providing resources that will be informative, interactive, action-oriented, and rooted in Quaker witness and testimonies, we hope to inspire action both within and outside the New York Yearly Meeting community.

The CJWG meets every week from 5-6 pm. Email either of our co-clerks for the zoom link: Margaret McCasland <mamccasland@...> or Peter Close <woolmanj@...>

The Earthcare Working Group (EWG) is the NYYM connection to Quaker Earthcare Witness, which includes Quakers from around North America. Within our yearly meeting, we support local habitat restoration and resilience, environmental justice, protection of biodiversity, etc. We coordinate with NYYM’s Indian Affairs Committee to support Indigenous environmental groups. We also hold Worship Sharing via zoom, phone &/or non-digital “Earth resonance” during Summer Sessions and periodically throughout the rest of the year. We work with the CJWG on Earthcare Grants, the Climate Solutions reporting form, and this newsletter.

The EWG holds a planning meeting once a month, usually on the 3rd Thursday of each month at 4pm. Email co-clerk Margaret McCasland for the zoom link: <mamccasland@...>

🌻🌻🌻🌻

ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER (including how to contribute or how to unsubscribe)

    Climate & Earthcare News & Notes are sent quarterly to people who signed up to receive emails from either NYYM's Earthcare Working Group or NYYM’s Climate Justice Working Group. Most weeks, we also send out more timely announcements.

Margaret McCasland edits both “News & Notes” and the weekly announcements with help from others in the Climate Justice and Earthcare Working Groups.

Our list of recipients is currently in a text document, and emails are sent via “bcc,” not via a listserv or a google group. Please add Margaret McCasland <mamccasland@...> to your contact list so mailings don’t go to your spam box.

Please email us at <mamccasland@...> if you:

  • have an announcement to post to the list or an item for the next newsletter

  • want to be removed from either the “News & Notes” email list or the the weekly announcements email list

  • want to be added to the list (for example, if this was forwarded to you by a f/Friend)

Amala Lane

Dear Margaret, Dear Friends,

Thank you Margaret for this exhaustive list!  I want to share my experience with trying to register for the following event: Wednesday, July 27 Native American Concerns (2:15-3:15 pm).

As per Margaret's email, you have to register first for NYYM Summer Sessions. It asks you who will pay - I added a note that I'm only attending this event. It's free will anyway so we'll see how this goes. After completing the multi-page form to register you receive a confirmation email with a link to events. That also takes you to a page with a day-by-day list of Zoom links for events. The one for 2:15 today is listed as Special Program and when you click on it it opens up to provide the full information.

I thought it might help people who might think they never get to the actual link by registering for NYYM Summer sessions. You'll get there!

Peace,
Amala

New York Thursday, June 9, 2022

[...]

thanks to Amala for guiding people thru complex process. Once you are registered for online Summer Sessions, you will receive a schedule with links to all the events hosted on NYYM zoom accounts. (I was not supposed to share links directly, except to the CJWG event, which is not on one of the NYYM accounts.)

Note that the same link works for the 2:15 program with Portia Kay^nthos Skenandore-Wheelock re: the Friends Committee on National Legislation’s Native American Advocacy Program, and the 3:15 discernment re: the Urgent Call.