[Ithaca CW] more to the story - FW: [northside-united] Fwd: Vote TOMORROW on Proposition 4

Ruth Yarrow

Please vote NO on Proposition 4.  It will save the garden at Beverly Martin School and GIAC will find other space for their gym.  Thanks, Ruth Yarrow

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Leslie Schultz <ls30@...>
Date: Mon, May 16, 2022 at 4:04 PM
Subject: [Ithaca CW] more to the story - FW: [northside-united] Fwd: Vote TOMORROW on Proposition 4
To: ithaca-catholic-worker@... <ithaca-catholic-worker@...>

From: northside-united@... <northside-united@...> On Behalf Of Nicole La Fave
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2022 2:48 PM
To: northside-united@...

Good afternoon all,

I am the mother of three children, two who currently attend Beverly J. Martin and one graduate of BJM. I also serve as a member on the Board of Education of the Ithaca City School District for the past 6 years.

I plan to Vote No to proposition 4 because our students will lose parts of their playground space, teachers and students will lose a portion of their outdoor education space, and our community will lose parts of their community garden. BJM already has one of the smallest playground spaces within our district, I do not support taking more from a school community that does not have space to give.

The Greater Activities Center does incredible work engaging our young people; I am incredibly grateful for GIAC and the gifts it bestows on our community. By voting no to Proposition 4 does NOT mean that GIAC will not expand its gym, it means that GIAC will still build its gym and BJM will continue to have its swings, outdoor learning space, and community garden.

I strongly believe we should center the voices of those who currently utilize this space, we should also center the voices of those who will be denied access to spaces they would not ordinarily have access to.  Not all families can access Treman, Buttermilk Taugganack, and other playgrounds in the area. Some of our families without transportation use BJM as their central place of entertainment and fun for their families throughout the year.

I don't think this conversation is Us vs Them, or pitting folks against each other. It's a school community saying we want to preserve what we have; and when you have very little to give, a small parcel of land can be A LOT. Parts of the playground will be impacted by Proposition 4, there is nothing "vacant" or "unused" by our playground. I stand with my BJM community to preserve our playground space.

Nicole LaFave

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 2:02 PM Travis Brooks <mrb607@...> wrote:

This just is not the whole story

Voting NO on Proposition 4 means that BJM keeps its entire playground area, and GIAC still gets the new gym. City can seek approval with the City Zoning Board for GIAC to expand up to its property line.

Voting YES on Proposition 4 means that BJM loses part of its playground area, and GIAC gets the same gym expansion plus additional space it intends to use for landscaping.

This just is not correct - Voting no means that gym expansion will be right up against the fence.

Voting yes allows removing 10 feet of the green space along the fence, not along the entire playground. It allows for there to be a walkway between the fence and the building, it does allow for a shared walkway to be used by BJM students to access a whole city block of green space with soccer fields, a baseball diamond and another basketball court. We should be asking how we create a walk across Court St with flashing lights and speed controls. We should be asking how we create more for all instead of looking at this from a place of deficit for anyone.

The ICSD is one of the the original partners of GIAC, for 50 years now we have been working hand and hand, and side be side with one another to create opportunities and support for so many young people across the community, Lets have a conversation about doing more for and pitting one against the other.

Travis

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 1:29 PM Linda Holzbaur <lindaholzbaur@...> wrote:

Thanks, Sadie. I will of course support BJM and its students.

Interesting that this parcel has a N. Albany Street address; before reading this email I could not figure out what land exactly was under question.

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 10:42 AM Sadie Hays <sadie.hays@...> wrote:

Hi Neighbors,

Please read and consider the impact that Proposition 4 will have on reducing BJM’s outdoor learning and playing space. Voting tomorrow will affect our neighborhood children.

Thank you,

Sadie

From: Amy Tai <amytai@...>
Date: Mon, May 16, 2022 at 8:31 AM
Subject: Vote TOMORROW on Proposition 4

TOMORROW is election day. One of the items on the ballot is Proposition 4, which directly impacts BJM. We write to provide more info, so that you can make an informed vote — and PLEASE VOTE!

Proposition 4 proposes that ICSD sell part of BJM’s parcel (approximately 1,312 square feet) to the City of Ithaca. Prop 4 refers to the parcel as “adjacent to" BJM, but it is actually part of the BJM playground and used daily — near the swings, outdoor classroom space, garden area, A+ theatre club, etc. (See attached images - BJM parcel marked in blue on the map; Ms. Jessica’s Kindergarten class learning in the outdoor classroom area that BJM could lose.)

The City of Ithaca wants to buy the BJM parcel for GIAC’s gym expansion (which will be part of the old gym at the former Immaculate Conception School on W. Court St). The expansion will not involve building on the BJM parcel, but the City wants to buy it so that the property meets the zoning “set back” requirements. The City plans to use this as “empty space [with] potentially . . . landscaping.” (quoting ICSD Board of Education Minutes - BJM parcel discussion begins on bottom of page 6)

What does this mean? It means that the City wants to buy the BJM parcel to avoid applying for a zoning exception. However, the City can still expand the GIAC gym up to its property line without buying BJM’s parcel if it asks the City’s Zoning Board to make an exception - getting a zoning variance exception is very common.

In summary:

Voting NO on Proposition 4 means that BJM keeps its entire playground area, and GIAC still gets the new gym. City can seek approval with the City Zoning Board for GIAC to expand up to its property line.

Voting YES on Proposition 4 means that BJM loses part of its playground area, and GIAC gets the same gym expansion plus additional space it intends to use for landscaping.

Polling locations are based on the school district you live in - so if you open enroll at BJM, vote at a poll site for your districted school.

Please feel free to share this information with other Ithaca voters.

--

Sadie Hays, L.Ac., MSOM
p: 607.862.6228

--
Northside United is a grassroots organization dedicated to strengthening connections between people who live, work and worship in Ithaca NY's Northside neighborhood.
---