Racial Justice Opportunity this SUNDAY

Ruth Yarrow

Dear Friends,  The following is from my friend Peaches Gillette, who is an educator, compassion counselor and workshop leader on writing, leadership development and race relations.  I just signed up so it's not too late.  Ruth Yarrow

I am hosting one of my Race Relations Writing workshop this upcoming Sunday.
Although we have about 13 people registered, I would.love to invite others to join us in this important event.

If you or anyone you know who is involved in the race work you do is interested in uniting and stregthening a community of mutual responsibility against the violence against people of color, particularly, Black people, please share this workshop information with them.

WE WILL NO LONGER HIDE

WRITING WORKSHOPS

LETTERS OF SORROW AND HOPE

$55.00 Participation Fee

For the past few months, I have been troubled by my personal experiences with racism and by the racist nightmare in this country that continues to move closer and closer into focus with each passing day.

This storm of racial hate and violence does not sit on the distant horizon as some still believe, but it is sweeping across this nation with a force that seems unstoppable, and the loss of lives is almost incomprehensible.

Our hearts are aching. Our sorrows are great.

The spirits of our former Civil Rights leaders mourn for us as we do for them.  Our Black children listen and watch in horror, stunned by the eclipsing reality of a future in which their lives matter at all.  Their ability to hope for better days is overshadowed by tension, and the fear of their own demise, of their fathers' and brothers' demise, and that of their mothers' and sisters'. Their fears are symbolic of the web of racism that is spun tightly around the bodies of people of color.

"When I grow up, I am never leaving my house.  I don't want to die.  I don't want to be arrested.  Why do White people hate Black people?"

These are the words and question of one seven-year-old that echo the sentiments of Black people throughout history.  Over four hundred years of begging, pleading, and fighting for the right to be free of the murderous forces of White Supremacy - and it goes on.

We are a nation in mourning. We are a people who have not been allowed to rest.  Our hearts are heavy, our faces drenched with sweat and tears, our souls weary and our hope challenged.

Nonetheless we must go on.  We cannot afford to get worn down.  We must stand upright and we must do so together.

This particular writing workshop invites us to mourn together and to hope together. It is a vigil, a moment held for all those who have been murdered by the hands of the police and by the socially embedded machinations that wage against Black lives.

Our writing will be in the form of letters that express your thoughts and feelings about the fatalities of Black men, women, and children by White "law enforcers."  Your letters can be addressed to the victims or their families, the police, yourself or to a higher power.

By registering for this particular writing workshop, you are consenting to the following:

Portions of this workshop will be recorded and shared with several churches throughout Thompkins County that have already shown great interest in this project: Ithaca Friends, First Unitarian Society of Ithaca, and First Presbyterian.

The video will be used to show the emotional depth of collective grieving, to inspire, and to spread the importance of community solidarity as we stand against these heinous forms of injustice.

* A five-minute video will be shown at the start of this workshop.

* Please preview the information in the link below:

https://www.reneeater.com/on-monuments-blog/2020/5/29/in-memoriam-i-cant-breathe

Registration Link:

Virtual Workshop Registration Form

RA