FCNL climate update Thu. Jan. 28, 7pm & other Climate Justice news

Margaret McCasland

Dear Friends,
The Climate Justice Working Group of New York Yearly Meeting (CJWG) is inviting you to an update on FCNL climate advocacy. We also want to share key steps taken by two monthly meetings to promote climate advocacy.

1) We are hosting an exciting Zoom webinar this Thursday, January 28, 2021. Please join us and learn about how you can help protect our planet.
Climate Advocacy Webinar with FCNL's Mariah Shriner
Thursday January 28, 2021, 7:00 p.m.
Mariah Shriner, Program Assistant for the Sustainable Energy & Environment Program at FCNL, will speak to members of NYYM about the opportunities and challenges facing climate advocacy in the 117th Congress. After setting the stage with key wins and developments at the end of the 116th Congress, she will provide an overview of what’s ahead—including the potential for climate action through a major infrastructure bill and how the new Democratic majority changes these conversations. Mariah will ground her remarks in FCNL’s change strategy and goals, and share how you can be a powerful advocate for our communities and planet!
Join Zoom Meeting by computer/tablet/smart phone by clicking this link.
Join Zoom Meeting by phone (audio only): Dial 646 558 8656
Meeting ID: 843 8413 6108, Passcode: 432425

2) The CJWG thanks Wilton and Saratoga Meetings for their local climate advocacy!

MINUTE FROM WILTON QM:

Wilton Quaker Meeting opposes the construction of  the Killingly Energy Center (KEC), a 650 MW electric generating plant fueled by natural gas, whose projected cost is $500 million.  The policy of Connecticut must be critically focused on fully decarbonizing the energy economy, including providing renewable electric power for its residents.

 According to the Connecticut Siting Council’s Finding of Fact, the plant would emit 2,207,451 tons of carbon dioxide per year throughout its expected lifetime of at least 30 years.  Thus KEC would directly contravene Connecticut’s decarbonization policy. Most or all of the electricity generated by KEC would enter the ISO-NE grid, and so may not even directly benefit Connecticut’s residents.

We ask that Governor Ned Lamont reject the application because it will not meet the requirement that Connecticut generate at least 21% of its energy from renewable energy rising to 40% by 2030.  If the developer wants to submit a project for renewable energy development, we would support such an alternative.

***

LETTER FROM SARATOGA FM:

Saratoga Friends Meeting
571 State Route 32
Stillwater, NY 12170

Representative or Senator X
United States House of Representatives or Senate
Washington, DC 20515 (for House) 20510 (for Senate)
Dear Rep./Sen. X:

We write today to encourage you to advance Carbon Pricing legislation. As members of the Religious Society of Friends, we are motivated by our Quaker faith to endorse the position of our Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL). That FCNL position is [available here:] https://www.fcnl.org/resources/pass-carbon-pricing-bill-0

Our Quaker faith guides us to acknowledge and celebrate our interconnection with the natural world, pay attention to related concerns including climate change, and join with others in active stewardship.

As Quakers we believe in science. The overwhelming consensus of scientists is reflected in the report from the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. We are in an existential crisis that threatens all life on earth. Once all carbon emissions stop, relief begins thirty years later. Meanwhile, weather-related disasters will worsen.

We must act now.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Lindop, Clerk
Saratoga Friends Meeting

If you would like more information or would like to come to a CJWG meeting please email me at <sylkej@...>.

Best,
Sylke Jackson
for the Climate Justice Working Group of NYYM

Join witness@IMMRSF.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.