Re: [TC SURJ] Action Alert: Reimagining Public Safety

Karen Friedeborn

Hi Liza,
It is too late to sign up to speak now if it did not work, but for future reference if you use this link which goes to the City if Ithaca Common Council page, you will get an immediate response saying you successfully submitted your request. For folks who did not  sign up to speak, you can leave your comments for Common Council here.here. It is a quick and easy way to be heard.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 1:03 PM Liza Cobb <elcobb54@...> wrote:
How does one know if they've successfully signed up to speak? I hit a generic link to sign up to speak "on days when common council meets", filled in all the information, and hit submit. Other than a msg appearing briefly on the page saying my submission had been submitted, I got no confirmation that I'm signed up to speak...

I have half a mind to submit a written statement just to ensure I get heard...

Liza

On Sat, May 28, 2022, 13:55 Karen Friedeborn <karen.friedeborn@...> wrote:

Reimagining Public Safety (RPS) will be on the Common Council agenda this coming Wednesday, June 1st at 6pm. Please speak up to help ensure Council passes this bill (see attached) that will trigger a public referendum. Now is the time for public pressure in favor of the bill!

If enacted as written, this bill will include the RPS Working Group’s final recommendations.  including:

  • A new Department of Community Safety led by a civilian leader with a background in racial justice, social work, public health, administration, and knowledge of the intersections of race, public health, and public safety.

  • A new Division of Community Solutions consisting of unarmed civilian first responders to respond to non-violent emergencies.

  • The Division of Police continuing to respond to calls that represent serious threats to public safety.

  • All first responders from both divisions receive training in de-escalation tactics, alternatives to use of force, trauma-informed approaches, and mental health awareness.

  • Better records and data management.

Tell Common Council that Ithacans should have a direct voice in the reimagining process.

 Next Wednesday, June 1st, at 9am a live link to register to speak will appear on the Common Council Website and will be live until 3 pm. The meeting will take place at 6pm Wednesday on the City of Ithaca’s YouTube channel. You can also submit your thoughts through their public comment form.

--
To contact the TC SURJ Coordinating Team, send email to tcsurj@....
---

Karen Friedeborn