Re: Climate & Earthcare Announcements: note that 3 events start TODAY

Amala Lane

Hello all,

I took the liberty to look up the Ukraine: Energy in the Spotlight event and here is the link: https://energyethics.st-andrews.ac.uk/ukraine-energy-in-the-spotlight/

Thanks again, Margaret for all these resources.

Warmly,
Amala

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 6:26 AM Margaret McCasland <mamccasland@...> wrote:
Dear Ithaca Friends:
      This is a sample of announcements I send out about once a week to people in NYYM with concerns for Earthcare & Climate Justice. (I also send out a longer newsletter every 2-3 months.)
      Please let me know if you would like to be added to the regular announcements and/or newsletter list.
      Note that one of the events is geared to Tompkins County residents.
--Margaret

Climate & Earthcare Announcements

from NYYM’s Climate Justice Working Group & Earthcare Working Group

There are more events than usual this month, since April has unofficially become “Earth Month,” with spillover events from Earth Day, April 22. I have left many of them out, primarily due to my own time limitations. I also did not get this out in time to tell you about a few key events that already happened this week, but the next issue of our newsletter “News & Notes'' will contain summaries and links to recordings of several of them. It will also have more information on the most recent IPCC report (one overview is in this week’s RESOURCES section).

I’m afraid I don’t have time to create a CONTENTS section, other than to say there are six EVENTS (three of them starting TODAY, Thursday), two ACTIONS and two RESOURCES listed this week.   –Margaret McCasland

                🌺🌺🌺

EVENTS

  1. THU. April 7, 9am EDT  Ukraine: Energy in the Spotlight

The Centre for Energy Ethics at St. Andrews (Scotland) invites you to join us for a 5-part seminar series every Thursday at 9am EDT, starting on 7 April.

     Joined by Ukrainian experts and special guests from and beyond the region, the seminar series will delve into the everyday energy realities faced by Ukrainians, the new ethical dimensions of energy that have emerged from the war, and the transregional implications for energy futures in Ukraine and worldwide.

Part 1: Nuclear Worlds, Thursday 7 April

Part 2: Natural Gas & Pipeline Geopolitics, Thursday 14 April

Part 3: Electricity Networks – Connecting Worlds by Wires, Thursday 21 April

Part 4: Oil Markets and Crude Politics, Thursday 28 April

Part 5: Coal, Old and New, Thursday 5 May

With a deep history of oil, gas and coal production, as well as nuclear power, Ukraine has long been involved in transnational and geopolitical energy conflicts. In recent decades, major disputes between Russia and Ukraine have concerned the transit of gas from Russia through Ukraine, Russian support for separatism in Ukraine’s coal-producing regions, and the ongoing annexation of Crimea, which hosts extensive offshore gas resources. Ukraine was at the cusp of disconnecting its electricity grid from Russia and synchronising with the European network when it was invaded on 24 February 2022. During the early weeks of the invasion, Russia prioritised actions to seize control of major energy infrastructure. Bombardments of nuclear facilities took place, threatening disaster, while power plants were seized or taken offline. As the war has escalated, calls have grown for global sanctions on Russian oil, gas and other resources. In a world where concerns about energy security and vocal desires for greater energy independence are rife, issues of energy could not be more integral to this war.

  1. THU. April 7 @ 3 pm  FCNL’s Call to Climate Action, Call to Conscience

Join FCNL’s Sustainable Energy and the Environment team on our twice-a-month Call to Conscience to connect with activists across the country. We’ll share updates about what is happening with Congress and the administration, and identify opportunities to take action and build energy in your own community.

Going forward, the meeting on the third Thursday of the month will now be held at 6pm ET. The call on the first Thursday of the month will still be held at 3pm ET. This change was made to improve the accessibility of Call to Conscience, so that as many Friends as possible are able to join us.

Register for this month’s calls using these links:

April 7th, 3pm ET: Call to Conscience | April 7

April 21st, 6pm ET: Call to Conscience | April 21

From Rosalie Ruetz, Program Assistant for Sustainable Energy & Environment, FCNL

rruetz@... | fcnl.org

  1. THU. April 7 @ 5 pm - April 10 @ 5 pm Quaker Earthcare Witness Spring Meeting

Join Quaker Earthcare Witness for our Spring 2022 Steering Committee Meeting. We will gather virtually using Zoom to conduct business and enjoy fellowship with each other. All Steering Committee members are encouraged to attend, and we welcome visitors for any or all of our sessions.

We are asking for an optional $75 registration fee to cover our administrative costs – but please pay as led.    Register here.

https://quakerearthcare.org/event/save-the-date-april-2022-steering-committee-meeting/

    Quaker Earthcare Witness (QEW) is the largest network of Friends (Quakers) working on Earthcare today. We work to inspire Spirit-led action toward ecological sustainability and environmental justice. QEW has grown out of a strong leading among Friends that our future depends on a spiritual transformation in our relationships with each other and the natural world. For over 30 years, we have helped Friends in North America integrate Earthcare into their daily lives. As our communities are being impacted more and more by the climate crisis, we feel an urgent leading to share our witness.

  1. FRI. April 8,  7 - 8:30 pm EST. Divestment from Fossil Fuels – Vanguard Investments

You are invited to a workshop on Divestment from Fossil Fuels – Vanguard Investments – A Plan from Earth Quaker Action Team (EQAT) with Eileen Flanagan on Zoom. QEW is partnering with Earth Quaker Action Team (EQAT) to support their campaign to pressure the Vanguard Investments Group to divest from fossil fuels. Vanguard is the world’s biggest investor in coal and one of the two biggest investors in gas and oil.

Learn more about EQAT’s campaign here.

If you have already registered for our April 7-10 Steering Committee meeting, registration for this event is included. Please Register here if you do not plan to attend the rest of QEW’s Spring Steering Committee Meeting (see previous listing).

https://quakerearthcare.org/event/divestment-from-fossil-fuels-vanguard-investments/

If you have any questions, please contact Shelley Tanenbaum shelley@...

  1. MON, April 11: Moral March on Wall Street & Mass Meeting: NYS Poor People's Campaign  in person & livestreamed on the Poor People's Campaign FB page and at poorpeoplescampaign.org/livestream  Register to join us!!!

4:30 pm: Gather at Battery Park

6 pm: Program at Trinity Wall Street, 89 Broadway, New York, NY 10006

Directly impacted people, faith leaders, and artists will together to demand this nation do MORE to live up to its possibilities:

  • MORE to fully address the interlocking injustices of systemic racism, poverty, ecological devastation and the denial of health care, militarism and the war economy, and the false moral narrative of religious nationalism.

  • MORE to change the narrative and build the power of those most impacted by these injustices.

  • MORE to realize a 3rd Reconstruction agenda that can build this country from the bottom up and realize the nation we have yet to be.

  1. WED. April 13 @ 5:30pm. How NYS’s Climate Plan Could Impact You

The Tompkins County Climate and Sustainable Energy (CaSE) advisory board will host a virtual event regarding the scope and plans from New York State on climate action.

Register for the virtual zoom event here.

The event will include a presentation by New York State's Department of Environmental Conservation Assistant Director for the Office of Climate Change on the scoping plan developed by New York's Climate Action Council. The presentation will be followed by a Q&A session to help give community members the information they need to help shape the plan before adoption at the State level.

Tompkins County Chief Sustainability Officer Terry Carroll stated, “Climate change impacts every community, including Tompkins County. I encourage any community member who is interested in climate action and what is being done at a statewide level to join us for this event. This is our community’s chance to get the information we need to weigh in on these critical plans.”

(While this is being offered for residents of Tompkins County, people from other parts of the state are also welcome to attend.)

                🌺🌺🌺

ACTIONS: Two actions from the Union of Concerned Scientists, shared by Jim Ralston, Saratoga Monthly Meeting

1. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed a rule to reduce pollution from heavy-duty diesel trucksbut the rule falls short. Despite the fact that the science and technology, as well as the urgency of this health crisis, clearly show that zero-emission trucks are available and must be the number one priority, the EPA has caved to industry pressure and released a proposed rule that doesn't go far enough.

We must be louder than those in the industry. Tell the Biden administration that we need more stringent options in the proposed rule and the faster deployment of zero-emission trucks.

 Clean Air for All: Tell the EPA It's Time for Zero-Emission Trucks.

2. Urge President Joe Biden to take stabilizing steps that would communicate to Russia and the world that the United States will never start a nuclear war: https://secure.ucsusa.org/a/2022-de-escalate-nuclear-tensions.

                🌺🌺🌺

RESOURCES:

  1. Announcing: Anonymous Was A Woman Environmental Art Grants - NYFA

The New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) has partnered with Anonymous Was A Woman to administer a new national grant program called Anonymous Was A Woman Environmental Art Grants, which will provide one-time grants of up to $20,000 to support environmental art projects led by women-identifying artists in the United States and U.S. Territories. The program will award $250,000 total in grants.

The AWAW EAG will support environmental art projects that inspire thought, action, and ethical engagement. The intended impact of the project is an important factor in the selection process. Projects should not only point at problems, but aim to engage an environmental issue at some scale. Projects that explore interdependence, relationships, and systems through Indigenous and ancestral practices are encouraged to apply.

The application cycle will open on Tuesday, April 12 and close on Tuesday, June 14, with applicants notified in August 2022.

                    From John Day, Westbury MM

  1. from the World Resources Institute: Read WRI’s 6 big takeaways from the IPCC report.

[Last week] the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) unveiled a new report that once again underscores the urgency for rapid, deep cuts to greenhouse gases (GHG) emissions if the world is to have any chance of avoiding the worst climate impacts. The report finds that global GHG emissions rose over the past decade – roughly 12% higher than emissions in 2010 – narrowing our window for limiting global warming to 1.5°C. The world now has now just three years to peak emissions to avoid overshooting this target. But the report also points to some signs of progress that we must urgently build on. The annual rate of emissions growth declined from an average of 2.1% between 2000 and 2009 to 1.3% between 2010 and 2019 and GHG emissions have already peaked and started to decline in some countries. The report also shows that cost-effective solutions are more available than ever and ready to be implemented, including switching to clean energy, halting deforestation and investing in carbon removal.

“Announcements only” emails from NYYM's Earthcare Working Group and NYYM’s Climate Justice Working Group are sent out no more than once a week, usually with 2-4 events and/or actions.

                🌺🌺🌺

This email was sent to people who signed up to receive email announcements from either NYYM's Earthcare Working Group or NYYM’s Climate Justice Working Group. It is an actual list in a text document, sent via bcc, not a listserv or a google group. Please email us at <mamccasland@...> if you:

--have an announcement to post to the list

--want to be removed from the list

--want to be added to the list (say, if this was forwarded to you by a f/Friend).

                🌺🌺🌺

Join us! Both Earthcare and Climate Justice are open working groups which currently meet by zoom. The EWG usually meets at 4pm on the 3rd Thursday of each month, and the CJWG has informal discussions at 5 pm every Wednesday, and a Meeting for Business on the 3rd Wednesday at 5 pm. To confirm dates & get links to either meeting, email Margaret McCasland <mamccasland@...>

Join witness@IMMRSF.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.