Holding El Salvador in prayer / in the Light

Shirley Way

Dear Friends,

Some of you may remember Salomon Medina who visited a few years ago to IMM and we talked about doing AVP in El Salvador through Friends Peace Teams.

Salomon and Loren Escobar (Guatemala) are now co-coordinators of FPT's work in Latin America.  I serve on their support team (along with Jens Braun from Old Chatham MM).

Anyhow, you may have heard that over the weekend there was a spike in gang violence in El Salvador with over 60 people killed.  This has resulted in a government crack-down and state of emergency that allows for military and police violence against regular Salvadorans.  This has been a problem for many years--police and gang violence but now they have even greater impunity.

Yesterday Salomon wrote:
Good morning my dear Shirley, I want to ask that you hold us in the Light (Salomon is Quaker), since we are passing through difficult situations in my country El Salvador.  Because of the increase in homicides this past weekend, the government has imposed a state of emergency that signifies that the presence and actions of the national civil police and the army has intensified throughout the country.

Salomon and Loren have been holding awesome and well-attended AVP workshops online throughout the pandemic and Salomon is trying to reinstate in-person workshops inside a Salvadoran prison and in gang-controlled territory.  Loren is looking to restart workshops in Guatemalan schools and communities.  Like most in Latin America, they have both lost loved-ones to COVID.

Good news: Honduras has a new, hopeful, woman president, Xiomara Castro.  Hopefully she can reverse the oppression of the Honduran military on the people of Honduras and clean the corruption.

Finally, FPT Peacebuilding en las Americas really really needs funding to support the work in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Colombia and Ecuador.  I typically go to New York Yearly Meeting's World Ministries Committee asking for about $4,000 but the committee is currently not functioning due to internal conflict.  They are unable to meet.  If you can, please consider Sending a check to: Friends Peace Teams 1001 Park Ave. St. Louis, MO 63104.  Please write "PLA" in the memo line.

Thank you!!

Shirley Way

There is a spirit which I feel that delights to do no evil, nor to revenge any wrong, but delights to endure all things, in hope to enjoy its own in the end. Its hope is to outlive all wrath and contention, and to weary out all exaltation and cruelty, or whatever is of a nature contrary to itself. It sees to the end of all temptations. As it bears no evil in itself, so it conceives none in thought to any other.
-- James Naylor, 1660

Join witness@IMMRSF.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.