Call to Action: John Lewis and For the People Act bills in the Senate

Elizabeth V. Keokosky

I am passing this on because it is so critical.   This call is from a comment at the end of a Heather Cox Richardson daily write up called “Letters from an American” at https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/october-3-2021?r=dw4yh&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email&utm_source=   She is a historian and gives a historical perspective to the news.   Betsy.  --------------------------------
A Call to Action(there is a short sample letter at the end that will fit on a post card!): American democracy is in an unprecedented emergency. If we do not pass the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Act, our democracy will die with the 2022 elections. I am asking all Americans who care to write or call the seven Republican senators who voted to convict former President Trump of incitement of insurrection, asking them to form a coalition for the sole purpose of saving our republic by voting these bills into law now.
Not the time to argue who is sincere, who has integrity. These Republican leaders are who we've got. For an expert take on why this is our best bet, read Robert Kagan's recent piece in the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/09/23/robert-kagan-constitutional-crisis/. Below is a list of their Washington addresses and phone numbers. (No email, please. It's not effective.)
Please remember that each of these seven have suffered violent threats for their vote to convict in the impeachment proceedings. My suggestion is to appeal to their love of country, to tell them their nation needs them to prevent radical Trumpians from destroying us, that we need them to step up now as the 2022 elections will otherwise mark our descent into autocracy.
Thank you.
Richard Burr, NC (retiring)
217 Russell Senate Office Bldg
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-3153
Bill Cassidy, LA
520 Hart Senate Office Bldg
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-5824
Lisa Murkowski, AK
522 Hart Senate Office Bldg
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-6665
Mitt Romney, UT
354 Russell Senate Office Bldg
Washington, DC 20510
202-228-0836
Ben Sasse, NE
139 Russell Senate Office Bldg
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-4224
Patrick J. Toomey, PA (retiring)
248 Russell Senate Office Bldg
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-4254
Susan Collins, ME
413 Dirksen Bldg
Washington, DC 20510
202-622-8414
An example of short letter:
Dear Senator __________,
Our democracy is in grave and immediate danger. I am writing to you today because you showed courage in voting to convict former President Trump. Please form a coalition with other courageous Republicans and vote for the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Act. The future of American democracy is in your hands. Thank you.

Join witness@IMMRSF.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.