Upcoming Workshops I'm Leading

Cai Quirk

Friends,
I wanted to share three workshops that I'll be leading later this month. They are on similar themes (how storytelling connects us to Divine)... one is 3 hours on a Saturday with Powell House Quaker Retreat Center) and one is 90 minutes for 5 days during Friends General Conference Gathering. One is in person here in Ithaca! Woohoo! What could be better than flexibility to match your schedule? I hope to see you there!

Powell House Saturday, June 19 (Afternoon - 1:00pm-4:00pm)
“Listening to Stories and God”
Register Here
     How do stories and myths relate to our lives today? What can we learn from ancient and modern stories and how can these connect us more deeply to each other and Divine? Stories, myths, and legends aren’t just tales created long ago, but ones newly created as well. Looking at myths and stories today offers ways to find deeper insight into our own lives and ways of interacting with the world around us. They invite knowledge that is deeper than the brain, reaching into the heart, emotions, body, and soul. They encourage connections that span across distances, time, even to other realms or layers of the spirit world. Stories can act as mirrors, the metaphors reflecting differently to each person, or to the same person at different times in life, showing lessons and knowledge each needs most.
     Like listening for Divine in Quaker worship, when we listen deeply for meanings and messages beyond the words, we make space for the inner teacher to guide us. By opening up to myth, story, and metaphor, to guidance that isn’t always immediately clear, we practice listening in ways that also open us further to hearing the Divine.

Friends General Conference, (M-F 6/28-7/2, 2-3:30pm EST)
"Restoryation and The Power of Stories"
Workshop information here (similar to above), register here (if you only want to come for the workshop, you can chose the 'workshops plus' event package)
I'll also be doing an afternoon event with Quaker Earthcare Witness on Thursday 7/1 called "Listening to Trees... and Spirit" at the Gathering.

Local Ithaca festival called "Mythaca" 6/24-27, my workshop on Saturday the 26th at 12:30-2:30, called "Queer Restoryation". The festival looks very cool and I think many of you would enjoy it. If you register and put my name in the 'where you heard about this' box, my workshop gets extra support.
     Stories, myths, and legends aren’t just tales created long ago, but ones newly created as well. Looking at myths and stories today offers ways to find deeper insight into our own lives and ways of interacting with the world around us. In a world that tries to erase the presences of LGBTQueerIA+ folks, it is even more vital that we continue to tell our stories, whether they are the everyday realities of our lives, or mythic tales of realities deeper than ordinary truths. Binary ways of seeing the world will not simply disappear — they must be replaced by ways of seeing and honoring fluidity and change as natural and necessary. This workshop is an act of restoryation, engaging with new stories, myths, and legends, ones that walk the many paths beyond supposed binaries: male and female, night and day, land and sea, earth and sky, life and death, self and other, self and earth.

Cai Quirk
pronouns: they/them or ey/em