[Talking Circle Alum] Gayogo̱hó꞉nǫʼ (Cayuga) solidarity update

Karen Friedeborn

Hello Friends,

I was at this action last night, and I can attest to the fact that this action really needs and deserves more support. It is a rather small group of young people holding it down now. Warning that there is potential for violence and arrest if you attend. There is less threat for non-indian folks because the Cayuga Nation Police (not recognized by the traditional Cayuga leadership) has no authority to arrest non-indian people. This is why the traditional Cayuga leadership is asking non-indian folks to be present to prevent evictions.  They also need financial support if you are able.  See the link below and look up articles to see more about why this is so unjust.

In peace and solidarity, Karen

Hi all,

An update on the Gayogo̱hó꞉nǫʼ (Cayuga) solidarity work happening this week. Last night, a group of 30 or so people, including several SURJ members and many Cornell students and other young people, camped out near the homes of three Cayuga families facing eviction. No evictions were attempted last night (or the night before, when a smaller group also camped out). We can’t know if this was because of the presence of the campers, but we did hear from the families that our presence helped them to feel safer during the night.

(This article has more background on the situation - it is part of the ongoing efforts of Clint Halftown, who the Bureau of Indian Affairs recognizes as the Cayuga leader but the traditional Cayuga leadership does not, to undermine the traditional Cayugas).

The threat of evictions continues, and we have been asked to continue to provide accompaniment support, at least over the next 3 nights.

Ways you can support:
- Spend a night (or more) camped out in Seneca Falls - sign up on this form: https://forms.gle/V96QUxVSy8sqzvjj9 AND text Nadia @ 765-430-2048 to let them know you will be there and get info on where to meet
- Send money for food for protestors and the impacted families, any extra funds will go to the Cayugas - Venmo @TCSURJ
- Send money for gas for protestors, any extra funds will go to the Cayugas - Venmo @ellie-pfeffer-1
- Send money directly to the traditional Cayuga community via Paypal: @Gayogohono

Thank you very much for the funds folks have already moved to this effort and for showing up to put your bodies on the line in solidarity with the Gayogo̱hó꞉nǫʼ people.

Ariana

Elan Shapiro
Showing Up for Racial Justice
Frog's Way B&B  https://frogsway-bnb.com/
elanshapiro343@...   607-592-8402
My artwork: https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/elan-shapiro
211 Rachel Carson Way  Ithaca, NY 14850

Showing up is our power.

Story is our way home. Truth is our song.

We are the brave and brokenhearted.

We are rising strong.

                                                          Brene Brown

Talking Circles on Race and Racism are a program of the Multicultural Resource Center: http://www.multicultural-resource.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Talking Circle Alumni" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/talking-circle-alumni/CADNb%3D2fugQ%2BGXpBvn1mpikep%3D7R8KLXLrtjjScJmdfJa7W%2BUeg%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Karen Friedeborn
(607) 280-5208