Re: Ithaca Clergy statement and video

Barbara Chase

Nancy,

Thanks so much for sharing the link to the clergy video.

Barbara Chase

On Oct 30, 2020, at 10:03 AM, Nancy Tonachel Gabriel <ntg2@...> wrote:

Friends,
For those not aware of the spate of antisemitic and racist incidents in the city, this article from the Cornell Sun gives some information—

Below is the written statement released by Ithaca Area Clergy.  I strongly recommend you take 9 minutes just to sit with the video, and let these voices fill your hearts.  (Rebecca Schillenbeck is a member of Poplar Ridge Meeting and, I think, a chaplain at Longview.  I asked her to participate on Friends’ behalf because I’m too clunky with technology.) Nancy G

The clergy video is posted on youtube and can be accessed at this link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uvwq3mVL8Q

Begin forwarded message:

Hi All,
and below:

In response to multiple antisemitic and racist incidents in the greater Ithaca community, Ithaca Area Clergy, an ad hoc, multi-faith group of religious and spiritual leaders in the greater Ithaca Area has launched the Hate Has No Home Here Campaign.  At the center of the campaign is the release of a clergy video in which spiritual leaders across religious and denominational lines reflect on texts from their diverse religious backgrounds condemning bigotry, racism, and intolerance.

The clergy video features 22 faith leaders quoting a wide range of texts ranging from the Bible to the prophetic words of Martin Luther King Jr.  The Jewish, Muslim, and Christian religious leaders are unified in their belief that combatting antisemitism and racism requires a religious response.  The Reverend Dr. David A. Kaden, the Senior minister of First Congregational Church of Ithaca commented “collaborating with faith leaders from many traditions including my own is one way for all of us to live into unity, be gracious with each other, live peaceably, anddemonstrate love for one another, our community, and world."

In addition to contributing to the clergy video, members of Ithaca Area Clergy have also pledged to speak out against antisemitism and racism from the pulpit this weekend.

The clergy video is posted on youtube and can be accessed at this link.

Nancy Gabriel
PO Box 852
Ithaca NY 14851-0852
607-339-7123 call or text