Topics

Two events marking 75th Anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Elizabeth Schneider

Dear Friends,

In recent years Friends have organized a gathering to mark the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  This gathering has always included persons from the Ithaca Catholic Worker who also have a tradition of marking these bombings.  Below please find information on their vigil this year. And I am placing the information on Friends' silent vigil at FCRJ below their announcement.  If you plan to attend the vigil at FCRJ in person, please note the necessity of having to call or e-mail to reserve a seat.
______________________

The Ithaca Catholic Worker invites you to join us for a special vigil on August 8th from 10 to 11am at the corner of Clinton St. and S. Meadow St.

On August 8th we want to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima (August 6th) and Nagasaki (August 9th). Nuclear war remains a terrible imminent threat to all life on earth. Nuclear weapons eviscerate the rule of law, enforce white supremacy, perpetuate endless war and environmental destruction, steal from all in our nation and world by their theft of much-needed resources. They represent a crime against humanity.

We declare our opposition to this madness and invite you to stand with us on August 8th. We will observe safe distancing and wear masks. We welcome your participation. Bring signs.

Questions? Call Dan at 2737108.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki Remembrance
Sunday, August 9, 6pm
Friends Center for Racial Justice
There has been a tradition of Friends and others remembering the dropping of the first atom bombs in 1945 on Hiroshima (August 6) and on Nagasaki (August 9) with a silent vigil around the Peace Pole in front of the Friends Center for Racial Justice.  This year is the 75th anniversary of these bombings. This is a vigil of mindfulness and remembrance of the thousands of persons who were killed 75 years ago at the instant of the blasts, those who later died from their injuries, and those who suffered from their injuries.

We are proceeding with plans to meet around the Peace Pole and to socially distance so that those in attendance can feel safe while being apart and wearing a mask.   We will have 12 chairs available.  If you plan on attending this Vigil, please call or e-mail Elizabeth Schneider to reserve one of those chairs.

We are also hoping that Zoom technology will allow others to be in attendance .  We are still checking out how workable this would be since it is an outdoor gathering.  As we test that out, notice of whether it is workable will be posted on the list serve.

To reserve a seat at the Vigil contact Elizabeth Schneider (neschneid@..., or 607-351-0057).  Watch the list serve to see if attending via Zoom will be another way of attending.
Reply Reply All Forward