From: Ruth Yarrow <rmyarrow@...>
Date: Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 6:44 AM
Subject: Re: [Talking Circle Alum] Justice Action News Updates
To: Elan Shapiro <elanshapiro343@...>

Thank you Elan and all on the Leadership Team.  This is very useful!  Ruth

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 3:54 PM Elan Shapiro <elanshapiro343@...> wrote:

Hi fellow justice advocates and accomplices,

Here is our somewhat weekly TC SURJ newsletter, with ways to show up for justice this week and beyond, either virtually or in person--pick one or two or more! This is long, slow, deep work, in dangerous and rapidly changing times, and we're grateful to be in it with you.

1) Black Hands Universal is serving free power smoothies every weekday morning from 9-11 am at 320 West State Street, between Plain and Albany Streets. Stop by to get a smoothie or drop off some fruits and veggies!

2) Spread the word to your non-white friends and family about a healing retreat this Saturday, August 29 at 5pm, being hosted by the Multicultural Resource Center     www.facebook.com/mrcithaca/photos/a.10153823985573625/10160217657433625/

3) Justice for Jacob Blake! Call and Email!

Call Kenosha Mayor John Antaramian  262-653-4000 #1   and Councilman Randy Hernadez  262-653-4000 #2

Kenosha District Attorney's Office (262)653-6404      WI Attorney General John Kaul (608-266-1221)

Email   Mayor John Antaramian mayor@...  Kenosha District Attorney  michael.graveley@...

Chief of Police   Daniel G. Miskinis  dgm398@...

Sample Script: Hello I'm calling to demand that you immediately fire and arrest the officer who shot Jacob Blake in the back seven times. This officer attempted to murder an unarmed father in front of his children, and is clearly unfit to hold their position as a police officer.

4)  A local multiracial coalition has been working to draft demands to drastically shrink the budget of the Ithaca Police Department and invest in true safety and community needs. After several weeks of strategizing, the antiracist coalition has completed a demand letter (text is below) and is launching a popular education and agitation campaign around the demands. The first step is for as many Ithaca-area residents as possible to sign and share the letter  Letter: bit.ly/2DLWLtQ      Sign on form: bit.ly/3kCf45y

Please add your name today! If you are part of an organization that wants to be a part of the coalition and help strategize moving forward, or have questions/comments, reach out at tompkinscoalition@....

5) Get active through Action Hours this coming Monday!

Feeling rage and deep sadness about racism and white supremacy, but not sure what to do? Join TC SURJ for an hour of action! We’ll meet over Zoom this coming Monday, August 31 at 3 pm for concrete steps you can take during that time —calling or emailing elected officials, signing petitions, etc.—in Wisconsin and in Ithaca- to combat racism against Black & Indigenous people and communities of color.

Register with elanshapiro343@...

6) Dryden-Groton Plus - Human Dignity Coalition

We are community residents who promote human dignity for all people. We seek to change the reality that the world, as it is, does not value white people and people of color equally.  We are working to build rural communities where all people can feel that they belong and are respected. We welcome all - black, brown, indigenous, other people of color and white people - who are interested in joining us in this work. Meeting the first Friday and the third Tuesday of each month. Contact: mxbishop@...

7) Mark your calendars and spread the word for a peaceful anti-racism demonstration in Enfield  The demonstration is taking place on Saturday September 5 (Labor Day weekend) from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

8) WAASR - (White Allies Against Structural Racism) is a group of local white people committed to raising awareness about and supporting actions to dismantle local structural racism.  We facilitate a monthly discussion session on the second Thursday of the month (next gathering Sept 10,  6-8 pm) for white people to learn, think, and plan together. This is a space for personal reflection and expression, for thinking out loud, and for discussing internal conflicts that arise from doing the work and living with structural racism. Contact: ritgallucci@...

9) Make calls with National SURJ's Collect Your Cousins campaign to help educate others and influence votes in swing states. August, September, and October phone banks will be calling white voters in Georgia that the Democratic party has written off — and that the far right is already talking to. We need to narrow a gap of about 55,000 white voters in GA and PA to win in November. Sign up for upcoming dates. And we hope you’ll collect some of your own cousins (friends and family) to join you! Remember that you can visit the SURJ Phone Bank Volunteer Resources list any time, and training will be provided before you start making calls.

Feel free to share any other resources or ways to take action to tcsurj@... and we will forward!

In solidarity,   the TC SURJ Leadership Team

Elan Shapiro
Frog's Way B&B
www.frogsway-bnb.com
607-592-8402
elanshapiro343@...
Building Bridges Coalition
Showing Up for Racial Justice
211 Rachel Carson Way
Ithaca, NY 14850

  To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic.  It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness...
What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something.  If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction...And if we do act, in however small a way, we don't have to wait for some grand utopian future.  The future is an infinite succession of presents and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory."  --
Howard Zinn

Talking Circles on Race and Racism are a program of the Multicultural Resource Center: http://www.multicultural-resource.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Talking Circle Alumni" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/talking-circle-alumni/CADNb%3D2fFnGw%3DDD_Ba8%2Bv6B8P80iJG0YVuTejV02%3DpLpnk9VHHw%40mail.gmail.com.