Topics

Powell House: Persuade, Don't Preach & Henrietta Lacks

Melanie-Claire Mallison <msmellie@...>

Dear friends:

Here are two Powell House offerings I thought you might be interested in.

Melanie-Claire Mallison
MsMellie@...
1-607-280-8182 (cell)

“You only live once,
but if you do it right,
once is enough.”
  Mae West

On Jun 23, 2020, at 5:01 PM, Powell House <info@...> wrote:

Coming to an online screen near you!
Register now for the following virtual workshops scheduled this coming weekend:
Saturday, June 27 (Morning)

Persuade, Don’t Preach” with Karen Tibbals, 10:00am-12:00pm.

Quakers believe that there is that of God in everyone. But we have a hard time seeing the Divine in the people we disagree with. We have a hard time listening and an even harder time talking. So, we don’t. We have become frozen. In this workshop, Karen Tibbals will present an introduction into a framework of how to listen and talk to those we disagree with, drawn from recent social psychology research. Participants will then discuss the applications of the technique.
Karen Tibbals is Communications Clerk of Rahway-Plainfield Monthly Meeting. She holds an MA in Quaker History from Earlham School of Religion and is the author of a new book on the topic, Persuade, Don't Preach.

Saturday, June 27 (Afternoon)

Powell House Book Discussions: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” with Regina Baird Haag, 2:00pm-4:00pm.

“Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor black tobacco farmer whose cells—taken without her knowledge in 1951—became one of the most important tools in medicine, vital for developing the polio vaccine, cloning, gene mapping, and more. Henrietta’s cells have been bought and sold by the billions, yet she remains virtually unknown, and her family can’t afford health insurance. This phenomenal New York Times bestseller tells a riveting story of the collision between ethics, race, and medicine; of scientific discovery and heath healing; and of a daughter consumed with questions about the mother she never knew.”
Regina Baird Haag is Co-Executive Director at Elsie K. Powell House, Inc. Regina has facilitated several PoHo book discussions or retreats, portrayed Professor Sprout at “A Year at Hogwarts”, and totally enjoys hosting PoHo events. She is recorded in the ministry among Friends and a member of Old Chatham Quaker Meeting. Regina loves her family, camping, hiking, biking, singing and The Ohio State University Buckeyes!
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THESE RETREATS:
ALSO OFFERED WEEKLY:

On Saturday Evenings: PoHo Worship at 6:00 p.m. on Zoom

The listserv is for announcements pertaining to official events of the Ithaca Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends only. For community discussion of interests to Friends, try our groups.io list. Please send a blank email to community+subscribe@IMMRSF.groups.io.