Topics

FW: Upcoming Events at Pendle Hill - March-May, 2020

Marin E. Clarkberg

These events near Philadelphia may interest Friends.

From: John Meyer <jmeyer@...>
Sent: Friday, March 6, 2020 12:31 PM
To: Francisco Burgos <fburgos@...>
Cc: Lina Blount <lblount@...>
Subject: Upcoming Events at Pendle Hill - March-May, 2020

Dear Friends,

Greetings from Pendle Hill. Just a quick note to let you know of what’s happening at Pendle Hill in the next few months.  You can also always check our online calendar to stay informed or subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter.  Thank you for keeping the Friends in your meetings informed about these opportunities.

Note:  Radical Faithfulness in Action, Pendle Hill’s program in grassroots organizing and radical faithfulness is open to applicants engaged in social justice organizing who seek to deepen their spiritual connections.  This program involves three campus residencies (April 2-5, June 25-28, and August 20-23) and ongoing support between residencies. Final application deadline is midnight March 10.

Register now for Working Toward Right Relationship with Indigenous Peoples, a conference where Quakers from across North America will seek and share ways of acknowledging and interrupting the ongoing harms stemming from Quaker individual and corporate involvement in the land theft and genocide against Indigenous Peoples on Turtle Island. April 30-May 3, 2020.

Continuing Revolution 2020: Transformative Conflict and Justice, Pendle Hill’s annual conference for young adult Friends and seekers (ages 18-35) begins Friday evening, June 5, and runs through lunch on Wednesday, June 10. Multiple registration options are open, and financial assistance is available.

M A R C H

March 7 – Work on your own creative project in our quiet well-stocked and well-lighted Open Art StudioArts and Spirituality Coordinator Jesse White will be there to help you get started.  1:30 to 5:30 p.m.

March 10 – Midnight, application deadline for Radical Faithfulness in Action.

March 14Prayer Weaving, a Saturday Arts & Spirituality workshop led by Jesse WhiteLearn to warp an embroidery hoop for circular weaving and how to chant inwardly or outwardly your prayer as you complete each pass. 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the Art Studio.

March 20-22 – Facing Transitions Together: A Couple Enrichment Retreat with Mike and Marsha Green and Kathy and Jeff Richman.

March 22-29 – The Perfection of the Present Moment, a seven-day mindfulness retreat with Mary Grace Orr, Anne Briggs, and Larissa Kitenko. A silent retreat with periods of sitting and walking meditation, opportunities to talk with a teacher, and formal presentations.

March 24 – Murals that Commemorate and Motivate: Art as a Tool for Social Change, Valerie Anderson leads an interactive illustrated discussion with the stunning murals of the African-American experience from the Church of the Advocate in Philadelphia, 7:15-9:00 p.m. in the Barn Meeting Room.

March 27-29 – The Sankofa Path: Healing from the Traumas of Racism, a weekend retreat with Erva Baden and Isha Vela designed for those who self-identify as U.S.-born African-American/Black Women.

March 28 – Studio Cleaning and Care Day, an opportunity for volunteers to help keep the Art Studio clean and its materials, tools, and equipment in good order.

March 29 – Pendle Hill Peace Quilt Unveiling Ceremony.  Join Asake Denise Foye Jones and the PeaceMaking Quilters for the unveiling of the Pendle Hill Peace Quilt celebrating Pendle Hill’s enduring vision during its 90th anniversary year. 2:00-3:30 p.m. in the Firbank Art Studio and Library.

A P R I L

April 2-5 – First residency for Radical Faithfulness in Action, Thursday evening through Sunday noon.

April 3-5 – Opening to the Heart of Worship, a weekend workshop with Christopher Sammond, focusing on practical skills that will enhance our ability to enter into deep, transformative worship.

April 4 – In Art Journaling: Painting the Life Line, discover how the meaning of where you are in the present moment might be deepened by a colorful prayer practice with arts and spiritual direction leader Nancy Santamaria. 9:30 to 4:00 p.m. in the Art Studio.

April 5 – Whether you are a poet with poems to share or an appreciative listener, you are invited to join us for our open-mic Poetry Coffeehouse, 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. in the Art Studio.

April 6 – Stephen G. Cary Memorial Lecture with Professor Tom Hamm, Professor of History, the Trueblood Chair in Christian Thought, and Director of Special Collections at Earlham College. 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. in the Barn.

April 17-19 – Noted New Testament scholar and historian of early Christianity John Dominic Crossan returns to Pendle Hill for a weekend workshop on The Meaning and Challenge of Resurrection.

April 18 - Work on your own creative project in our quiet, well-stocked, and well-lighted Open Art StudioArts and Spirituality Coordinator Jesse White will be there to help you get started.  1:30 to 5:30 p.m.

April 24-26 – Bless the Night, a weekend workshop with Rev. Rhetta Morgan, using song, chant, poetry, and movement to confront and challenge the ways we project our fear onto the dark and explore the blessings of the sacred dark.

April 30-May 3 – Working Toward Right Relationship with Indigenous Peoples, a conference welcoming Quakers from across North America to seek and share ways of acknowledging and interrupting the ongoing harms stemming from Quaker individual and corporate involvement in the land theft and genocide against Indigenous Peoples on Turtle Island. With gratitude, we will be accompanied by Indigenous Peoples as planners, advisors, and presenters.

M A Y

May 3 – Our monthly Poetry Coffeehouse welcomes poets and poetry lovers to hear poems read aloud in an open mic format in the Art Studio from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.

May 8-10 – George Schaeffer and .O team up to co-lead New Creation and the Alchemy of Love, a weekend workshop exploring living and loving in the new creation that Early Friends experienced and invites us today.

May 16 - Messy Conversations: Fostering Dialogue by Creating Images of Our Imaginary Bullies and Friends, Michael Macrae leads a drop-in program guiding participants in creating images of their imaginary bullies and imaginary friends during the regular monthly Open Art Studio, 1:30 to 5:30 p.m.

May 29-31 – Drinking Deep at the Well: The Passionate Spirituality of Early Quaker Women, a weekend retreat with Deborah Shaw engaging in worship, individual and group reflection, writing, and sharing the experience of deep engagement with some of the writings of early Quaker women.

May 30 - Art as Medicine for Healing the Spirit and the World, a one-day Arts & Spirituality program with artist-activist Ricardo Levins Morales exploring the power of art as an instrument for personal and social change.

Thank you, Friends, for all you do to support your meeting and to strengthen the Religious Society of Friends.

In Friendship,

John

John J. Meyer

Communications and Outreach Coordinator