Topics

Fw: Learn and Share

clerk@ithacamonthlymeeting.org

On NYYM Summer Sessions interest groups:

Interest Groups are a good way to introduce yourself to a topic or dive deeper, to learn and to share. One must be registered for our
virtual Summer Sessions in order to participate in an Interest Group. There is no registration fee and the optional registration contribution is pay-as-led.

Please attend and please register! It helps with planning, and it gets you access to the Zoom links for everything. See the two-weeks-at-a-glance schedule to get a sense of Summer Sessions.

Section 1: Wednesday, July 22nd 2:00 - 4:00 PM

Bolivia Quaker Educational Fund in times of Covid and Climate Change - Led by Rebeca Ramos, Wednesday, July 22nd 2:00 - 4:00 PM​ - Rebeca Ramos, a graduate of the Bolivia Quaker Education Fund who is currently a Visiting Assistant Teacher at Oakwood Friends School in Poughkeepsie, NY, will give a short slide presentation via Zoom on her life and family, the programs supported by BQEF, and BOlivia. She will answer questions from us on anything from to the impact of Covid 19 and climate change on Bolivians, including her friends and family andher participation in INELA (her local yearly meeting).

Green Investing in a Friendly World - Led by Peter Close, Wednesday, July 22nd 2:00 - 4:00 PM - 3 investment firms describing how green they are in handling the Friendly money placed with them by our Yearly Meeting, New England Yearly Meeting, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, New York Quarterly Meeting, Powell House, Oakwood Friends School, Friends Council on the Aging, individual Friends and monthly meetings, Friends General Conference and Friends Journal.

Learnings and Outcomes of NYYM's Pilot Mentoring Program - Led by Marissa Badgley, Wednesday, July 22nd 2:00 - 4:00 PM - In this interest group, we will review what we learned from NYYM's pilot mentoring program between January and July 2020, and explore implications for future intergenerational mentoring programs/initiatives in monthly meetings and the larger Religious Society of Friends.

Moving with Spirit - Led by Jane Alexandre and Tom Goodridge, Wednesday July 22nd 2:00 - 4:00 PM - "Friends' worship has been characterized as a listening for the still, small voice. Quaker practice is a preparation to attend to this quiet call, which seems to emerge from the interior in a gathered body of expectantly waiting Friends. Typically, Friends have together waited on Spirit in a seated position. Might there be other ways to wait expectantly? In some of our experiences with movement we have felt the promptings of Spirit. We would consider Spirit-led movement; ways of creating conditions receptive to the movement of Spirit--possibly beginning with a warm-up activity, possibly accompanied by music. Session will last between 30 - 45 minutes. Jane Alexandre is a dance artist/scholar whose current practice concerns center around community, obligation and belonging. Tom Goodridge attempts to worship through movement.

Right Sharing of World Resources - Led by Jacqueline Stillwell, Wednesday, July 22nd 2:00 - 4:00 PM - Right Sharing of World Resources works for equity through partnership with our sisters and brothers throughout the world.
What is essential? How much is enough? How is my use of time, energy, and “things” in right balance to free me to do God’s work, and to contribute to right order in our world? Jackie Stillwell, General Secretary, will invite participants' personal reflection, share vivid slides and stories of newly empowered women entrepreneurs, and explain how you can help RSWR make a difference in someone's life. www.rswr.org.

What it Means to be a Friend in NYYM 2020 - Led by David Male, Wednesday, July 22nd 2:00 - 4:00 PM - The wisdom of our founders to name our faith The Religious Society of Friends (RSF) is profound, because the heart of our experience has always been that our creator is not some distant tyrant seeking to subject us but rather a close companion with whom we can establish a real Friendship, a Friendship that we can then demonstrate in our relationship to those around us. While the first Friends surely took the name from the Bible (John 15:15), every child knows intuitively what it means to be a friend. This is indeed a reflection of the Inner Light which leads us into all Truth when we pay attention to it. Often in young adulthood, but it can happen at any age, we may ask ourselves what we really believe about what we have been taught, to form our own view of the world and find our way in it. The occasion of the 325th Anniversary of NYYM of the RSF is a good time to reflect on what it means to all of us to be a Friend as we embrace our past, envision our future, and live into our present. David Male grew up among Friends in NJ, but really became a Friend as a young adult in Ohio. Now he teaches Quakerism at Olney Friends School and is a recorded minister of Stillwater Meeting in OYM. He has visited Summer Sessions several times in recent years, feels at home among the rich diversity of experience and expressions in NYYM and is always eager to engage in an open, searching conversation about what it means to be a Friend.

Writing letters to incarcerated Quakers - WHY NOW? - Led by Judy Meikle, Wednesday, July 22nd 2:00 - 4:00 PM
This will be an interactive session for people who are curious about the opportunity to connect with incarcerated Friends through the Inside Outside Letter Writing Collective.  Why this is a particularly critical time to engage in this ministry (Covid-19 and the prison movement).

Section 2: Thursday, July 23rd 7:00 - 9:00 PM

An Introduction to Clearness Committees - Led by Robert (Sunfire) Kazmayer, Thursday, July 23rd 7:00 - 9:00 PM
This Interest Group is based on the experiences of Sunfire, the presenter, working with retreats organized by the Center for Courage & Renewal - an organizaation created by the noted Quaker author, Parker Palmer. We will look at Palmer's "Touchstones," a set of guidelines for Clearness Committees and other group interactions. We will have a practice exercise that to help participants frame the questions that are appropriate for Clearness Committees. And we will look at how to get further information and training for being a part of a Clerness Committee.

Anti-Racist Work:  Your Stories and Our Stories - Led by Mary Pugh Clark, Thursday, July 23rd 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Participants will hear members of European American Quakers Working to End Racism (EAQWER) tell how their anti-racist work evolved over time and will be invited to share aspects of their stories. The interest group will end with everybody looking where they are headed in doing anti-racist work going forward.

Clean Energy Action Workshop - Led by Dianne Keefe, Thursday, July 23rd 7:00 - 9:00 PM - Renewable Energy grass roots action workshop NYYM Climate Justice Working group present experts and citizen activists to explain how to build a clean energy future in towns and cities and at the state level. Mark Robbins, will discuss solar and energy efficiency projects for public school and public building projects. Paul Fenn, founder of Localpower.com, will discuss CCA, community choice aggregation for solar energy and decentralization of our energy supply. See www.localpower.com. David Alicea, from the Sierra Club and NY Interfaith Power & Light will discuss NY state legislative issues related to climate change. Laura Cisar and Keith Voos from New Brunswick Monthly Meeting (NBMM) in NJ, will talk about local community organizing actions to stop “Compressor Station 206 and the Northeast Supply Enhancement Project” (NESE). There was a sense of the meeting for New Brunswick MM to become an intervenor to stop the project, which they did.

Lessons for Our Time: Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass Discuss Suffrage and Race, 1869: Principles vs. Pragmatism - Led by Judith Wellman, Thursday, July 23rd 7:00 - 9:00 PM - In this 100th anniversary of the Nineteenth Amendment, recognizing the right of women to vote, this presentation will raise questions of racism within the women's suffrage movement, asking participants to listen to the words of Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass in 1869 to consider questions that still challenge us today.

Loving & Nurturing Young Adults in 2020 - Led by Marissa Badgley, Thursday, July 23rd 7:00 - 9:00 PM - An exploration of the unique and not-so-unique needs of young adults as a result of COVID-19, social unrest, and other unusual events in 2020. We will discuss what monthly meetings and individuals can do during this time to support young adults, and what we can learn from this period of uncertainty about young adult engagement and participation. Offered by: Marissa Badgley, NYYM Young Adult Interim Field Secretary.

Race, Mass Incarceration, and Covid-19: Criminal Justice in 2020 - Led by Joe D'Antonio Thursday, July 23rd 7:00 - 9:00 PM - Racism touches every part of our society. The criminal legal system is no exception. Black and brown communities are over-policed and over incarcerated compared to their white neighbors. As we continue to confront the system of mass incarceration, we must confront the racial justice issues that underly this broken system. During this presentation FCNL criminal justice lobbyist and Friend Joe D’Antonio will outline the intersection between race and mass incarceration. He will also outline the ways these issues intersect with healthcare in incarceration institutions as COVID-19 rips through prisons and jails across the country.

The Nuts & Bolts of Running a Meeting - Led by Fred Dettmer, Thursday, July 23rd 7:00 - 9:00 PM
We will examine and discuss the legal, financial, social and theological implications of having a monthly meeting, from the requirements of the State to the guidance of Faith & Practice.

Section 3: Wednesday, July 29th 2:00 - 4:00 PM

Love Thy Congress - Led by Riley Robinson, Wednesday, July 29th 2:00 - 4:00 PM - This is the most diverse Congress ever, and it certainly needs to be. It's the one branch of the federal government with which you can develop on ongoing relationship! Friends Committee on National Legislation lobbies effectively in a wide range of areas in Washington, and your Friendly presence matters greatly! Let's talk.

Quakers: The Quiet Revolutionaries Led by Elaine Learnard Wednesday, July 29th 2:00 - 4:00 PM - This will be a facilitated conversation/Q&A with Janet Gardner and Dick Nurse about their film.

Sharing Climate Solutions around NYYM interest group - Led by Margaret McCasland, Wednesday, July 29th 2:00 - 4:00 PM - The Climate Justice Working Group and the Earthcare Working Group have been developing an online form so people can report on projects which address the climate crisis by reducing heat-trapping emissions, keeping CO2 safely sequestered in living systems, and by supporting the social systems which help people live in right relationship with our biosphere. We will help you fill out the reporting form during the interest group. We'd love your feedback! Our next step will be to create a data base of all the projects and activities so that you can inspire each other. Link to reporting form: <https://forms.gle/VuMhPNb42C1d6tof9>

SUPPORTING NYYM - Let's Count the Ways! - Led by Dare Thompson, Wednesday, July 29th 2:00 - 4:00 PM - Some of our dreams for a vibrant NYYM require money. Your NYYM and what it becomes for future generations is what you help it to be. Bring your questions about how to help to our what-we-need and how-to-give experts.

The Marathon for Peace and Justice: Friends Peace Teams - Led by Nadine Hoover, Wednesday, July 29th 2:00 - 4:00 PM - Bring your own Quaker ministry for peace and justice or support others' thru Friends Peace Teams. A brief overview of Quaker ministries globally, including yours, a few interactive activities, and discussion of actions in the current marathon for peace and justice.

Young, Old, and In-Between: Companioning Toward Fortitude - Led by Kaitlin Pawlukojc & Callie Janoff, Wednesday, July 29th 2:00 - 4:00 PM - We are deep listeners, but sometimes quiet talkers. Experiences, modeling, mentoring - how do we transfer our skills and insights to other Friends who seek to share in our ministries, particularly among those of different generations? This experiential interest group offers an opportunity to listen for what is being asked for, to share stories of lessons learned, mistakes recognized, and to offer reminiscences on all you wish you had known… Friends of every age have important gifts to share and much to learn from one another, and in order to thrive we need to ask for and offer perspective, presence, and empathy.