Afghan evacuee grocery card drive

Pat Sewell

Below is a message from Buffalo Monthly Meeting.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Matt Venhaus <farmingtonscipioquakers@...>
Date: Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 8:46 PM
Subject: [farmingtonscipioquakers] Afghan evacuee grocery card drive
To: FSRM List <farmingtonscipioquakers@...>

Buffalo is expecting 335 Afghan evacuees to arrive. A coalition of five organizations experienced in Buffalo refugee work is collaborating to make this transition as welcoming and easy as possible.  Evacuees do not have access to the same federal programs that refugees have.

Buffalo Monthly meeting has chosen to purchase Aldi's gift cards in $25.00 denominations for these evacuees. This idea was shared with one of the coalition partners (The International Institute of Buffalo) and received with great enthusiasm. We welcome donations from other individuals and other meetings. In addition to individual donations our meeting approved a $500.00 gift frommeeting funds.

For the next six weeks, we welcome donations in any amount for this project. Each week, whatever money is collected will be turned into Aldi's gift cards in $25.00 denominations and delivered to the International Institute.

How it's going so far:
As of the end of our first week, (Monday 9.20.21), $575.00 was collected. 23 Aldi's gift cards were purchased on Monday and will be delivered Wednesday.

MANY THANKS! to all who contributed. If you wish to participate, you can mail checks to:
Sue Tannehill (made out to her with "Afghan evacuees" in the memo line)
8750 Tonawanda Creek Rd. Clarence Center, NY 14032
or use Paypal: sue.tannehill@...
or use Venmo: sue.tannehill@...

With everyone's help, we can assist in welcoming these Afghan evacuees.

Join announcements@IMMRSF.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.