Hiroshima and Nagasaki Remembrance

Elizabeth Schneider

Hiroshima and Nagasaki Remembrance:
Monday, August 9, 6pm

There has been a tradition of Friends and others taking the time to remember the dropping of the first atomic bombs in 1945 on Hiroshima (August 6) and Nagasaki (August 9). The Remembrance is in the form of a vigil held around the Peace Pole in front of the Friends Center for Racial Justice, 227 North Willard Way.  This is a vigil of mindfulness and remembrance of the thousands of persons who were killed 76 years ago at the instant of the blasts, those who later died from their injuries, and those who suffered from their injuries.

We wish all who come to feel comfortable gathering around the Peace Pole, so we will place chairs 6 feet apart.  But chairs can be moved as people arrive so that each of us can feel comfortable with the distancing, including if you are coming with someone and wish to sit next to each other.  Individuals may choose to wear masks depending on their own situation.  Of the many years this Remembrance has occurred, it has rained only once.  If it is a light rain, we may be able to remain around the Peace Pole with an umbrella, so bring one if rain is possible.  But we can also adjourn to the side porch of FCRJ.  Depending on the number of persons in attendance, it would be challenging to provide the same social distancing, but a real effort will be made.  If you have any questions, contact Elizabeth Schneider (neschneid@... or 607-351-0057).
Reply Reply All Forward

Join announcements@IMMRSF.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.